Questions re Manga-based Japanese Live Action Films

M Arnold ma_iku
Tue Aug 15 19:45:54 EDT 2006

There's also Wakamatsu Koji's Kisu yori kantan (1989) and its sequel (1991),
based on the comic by Ishizaka Kei, who was once an assistant at Tezuka
Productions, also the Bebop High School series (1985-), Somai Shinji's Tonda
kappuru (1980), and there are a couple of Golgo 13 films, one with Ken-san
that was filmed by Toei in Iran in the early 1970s. The recent Rabu kon,
Hachimitsu to kuroba, Touch, and Rafu are all manga gensaku, and I think
there's a new Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro around the corner. Shochiku's Tsuri baka
nisshi (1988-) is also based on comics, and there are live action versions
of Mezon Ikkoku (1985?) and Shirato Sanpei's Watari (1966), and the list
goes on and on . . .

From: "Michael McCaskey" <mccaskem at georgetown.edu>
> Has anyone written a book secifically about this yet?

It's not a book, but there is an old issue of Image Forum with an article on
live action film adaptations of comic books/strips. It contains a long list
that stretches back to the 1920s, I believe, with dozens of entries. I have
a copy but it's on a boat somewhere on the Pacific now, so I won't be able
to check it for a couple of months.

Michael Arnold