Japanese women directors

tim.iles at utoronto.ca tim.iles at utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 22 21:10:48 EST 2006

Aaron wrote:

> As for women directors, I think Tim's initial suggestion calls for
> films from any era, not just new ones. Any candidates there?

Personally, I'd be _very_ surprised if there were any female directors
of note before the 1960s... Even though--for example--there were very
good female novelists in the 1930s, mostly left-wing, I can't see
women having the same access to the technology needed to make films
that men had. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though...

The Iran case is interesting--I've yet to see an Iranian film by a
female director, but I've enjoyed very much the (small) handful of
Iranian films I've seen. One thing I'm interested in in this thread is
whether KineJapaners notice any visual differences in the approaches
taken by men or women in handling character development or diegesis...
Is there such a thing as a "feminine visuality" or "female voyeurism"?

Best,

Tim Iles
University of Victoria