Region2 DVD Box Sets

Nate Shockey nshockey
Tue Feb 7 15:20:40 EST 2006

  The Teshigahara retrospective at BAM looks great!  Disappointed to
see that there's not going to be a screening of "Moetsukita chizu" -
i've heard its not quite up to snuff with "suna no onna" or "tanin no
kao", but I'd still like to see it since it's the last Abe/Teshigahara
collaboration and it stars Katsu Shintaro, though it seems almost
impossible to find a copy - has any one seen it, or better yet, know
anywhere online with gray market copies?

   Also, I'm not sure I've ever properly introduced myself to the
whole list.  I'm a PhD student in modern Japanese lit at Columbia, but
I'm also hoping to incorporate film into my work and studies.  I'm
especially interested in New Wave and experimental film from the 60s
and 70s, as well as some of the newer directors like Kawase Naomi and
Aoyama Shinji (whose "Eli, Eli..." I'm eagerly awaiting!).  I met a
number of people on the list at the NYU symposium in December, and
know a few more from here and there, but to the rest, yoroshiku onegai
shimasu!

 -Nate Shockey