Cine-Asia, one more time

Kerim Yasar kerimyasar
Mon Feb 27 19:19:25 EST 2006

Joseph Murphy <urj7 at ufl.edu> wrote: Dear Members of Kine-Japan,I wasn't following the Cine-Asia thread, thinking it was someone else's problem, and why should I concern myself with events that happen all the way around the world on that other operating system.??? Then today I got hit, 40 messages, including one person screaming in all caps that they don't read Spanish and REMOVE ME NOW!!!??? And now I understand that it really is a global problem.??????

If I am repeating information, sorry, but this is the procedure to unsubscribe:
1.??? click the second to the last link at the bottom (the last one is a yahoo groups link)

   Para cancelar tu suscripci???n a este grupo, envi??? un mensaje a:
 ???
2.??? type unsubscribe in both the subject and text area.
3.??? you will receive a message back as follows:

Begin forwarded message:
???Hola!

Hemos recibido tu solicitud de cancelar tu suscripci???n al grupo???
CineAsia. Por favor, confirm??? esta solicitud
respondiendo este mensaje. Si no quer???s cancelar tu suscripci???n a???
CineAsia, no hagas caso de este mensaje.

Atentamente,

El equipo de Servicio al Cliente de Yahoo! Grupos???

El uso de Yahoo! Grupos est??? sujeto a las http://ar.docs.yahoo.com/info/utos.html???

4.??? I asked one of our student assistants from Venezuela to take a look to be sure.??? According to her, it is in a dialect that she can't place, rather informal.??? What the message says is "please confirm that you want to cancel by responding to this message".??? If you reply again "unsubscribe" you will get a message informing you that your cancellation is complete.

???Hola!

Este mensaje es para informarte que tu solicitud de cancelar tu
suscripci???n a CineAsia ha sido completada.

Whether I just initiated the countdown sequence on a virus, we'll see.??? Please be aware that some advise never to click on unsolicited mail under any circumstances,???but I did get an immediate reply confirming cancellation.??? ???

It seems clear this is operating on the KineJapan list, but because we were not signed up in one shot, this seems to have characteristics of an automated program grinding away on our mailing patterns rather than an isolated "accident" or leak of the mailing list. ???

I would guess Cine-Asia either doesn't know what's happening, or used a tool that got out of hand.??????I know enough Spanish to see that there is a lot of enthusiastic and informed discussion of Asian film, events, festivals, etc.??? We have a lot of students here from Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, etc., and there is a thriving J-film and anime scene in the cities.??????So I second Emilio Orby's concern that we not dump on what may be a valuable companion site because of this breach of etiquette, or worse because they aren't writing in the universal language.??? If we ever clear this up, we might even consider a link to their site under "Spanish-language Resources."??????

Apologies if I'm repeating something already posted.
yours,
Joe Murphy

Yahoo! Mail