Pia audience survey chart

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Jan 13 11:07:07 EST 2006

> Pia is not "selling information" so much as providing a service to
> readers,
> telling them how several dozen ordinary moviegoers felt about the film
> they
> have just seen.

Certainly Pia does provide a service, but any researcher of the
information society--and some studies have been done of Pia and the
johoshi--will tell you that information is not just a service, but a
commodity that is produced and marketed, and thus subject as much to
the effects of commodity capitalism as any other product. As we all
know, there are many products out there that are not sold for their
utility, but for their image or other factors that are as produced as
the commodity itself. Joho is no different.

> Scientific? Probably not -- but again, the results are intended for,
> not
> researchers, but readers looking to get a sense for whether a film is
> for
> them or not. As a journalist (formerly with Screen International, now
> with
> Variety), I sometimes find Pia rankings valuable for getting a "man (or
> woman) on the street" take on a film I can't get from a flack or a
> critic.
> The comments are especially revealing in their honesty, though raves
> are
> more common than pans.

But my complaint is that it doesn't give you a man on the street view.
It gives you a view of a small audience that happened to go to see the
film in the first few days it was released at a particular set of
theaters. (Pia does not keep polling weeks down the line and doesn't do
much polling in the boonies.) First, the people who go to the see the
film early are not always the "average" people (especially when it
comes to idol movies or others with a strong fan base). Second, the
questions are vague, because they don't give the respondent any
comparative standard for rating (to one person, a 75 may be good, but
for another a 75 is a bad rating). Third, different audiences have
different standards: a person used to TV who goes to the movies only
once a twice a year and is drawn to a film by big TV advertising will
apply different standards of judgment compared to an avid film fan who
sees art films once every other week. Since different audiences go to
different films, the results cannot easily be compared (that's why the
Pia best ten is largely useless, I believe), unless you are comparing
the same kinds of films polled under similar conditions.

I'm not saying that the comments or results in Pia should be ignored:
they may provide a good quote or footnote. But they do not represent
the man on the street and I find them much less useful than comment
sites like yahoo.jp, where you can actually read the opinions and get a
better sense of who is responding and what their arguments are. But
even there there are problems (e.g., older audiences don't write
comments on the internet, etc.).

Perhaps the search for the view of the man on the street is itself
problematic?

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363