Pia audience survey chart

mark schilling schill at gol.com
Fri Jan 13 22:38:53 EST 2006

Thanks for the information that magazines are a commodity. Having written
for them for twenty years, I'm vaguely aware of that. But service magazines
like Pia are, believe it or not, trying to provide services -- and the
audience survey is one of them.

I'm also quite well aware that, to conduct a thoroughly scientific poll,
you'd have to send pollsters out around the country, make sure your sample
reflected the overall audience for the entire run of film, etc., etc. Pia
doesn't do that. No one does and no one ever will -- it's expensive, time
consuming and, frankly, not worth the use of resources, especially for one
Tokyo-based magazine.

What Pia does do is ask Tokyo moviegoers  the sort of simple up-down
questions that real people ask their friends about a movie they've just
seen. Did you like it? How much? Granted, a one-to-hundred scale is not
"accurate," but it's bit more precise that the usual thumbs up, thumbs down
or shrug. And when you have eighty or a hundred such numbers you have a
slightly better read for what people actually think about a film than asking
your three closest friends. Internet message boards and chat rooms are other
sources of this sort of info, but the people who log in are also self
selecting -- and if they are not always movie nerds they are also often not
what anyone would consider average.

What the Pia numbers tell me is not whether film A truly and actually
outranks film B in popularity. It gives me a rough, but generally accurate
read (as measured by corresponding BO figures) for whether real people
walking out of real theaters liked a movie or not. The number one rating for
Summer Time Machine Blues does not prove that it was really the most popular
mini-theater film released in Japan in 2005 -- I never said that. What is
does indicate is that, for whatever reason, Motohiro is connecting with his
audience -- that his popularity is not simply driven by Fuji TV hype. Of
course, a producer thinking of putting money into his next film would want
to see the box office numbers first and foremost, but the Pia number one
rating is another plus for him, like winning an Audience Prize at a film
festival. Those prizes are also not an entirely scientific measure of a
film's popularity -- they are decided by those who take the trouble to tear
the little cards at the end of a single screening -- but they are valued by
the film's creators, distributors and, most importantly in the commercial
sense, buyers.

Finally, are the "man in the street" comments worthless? I suppose so, if
you believe that what ordinary fans think is of no importance. As a
journalist writing for industry folks who make their living from those
ordinary fans I think those comments can occasionally be of interest.

I'll let you have the last word, Aaron, as always. I've had my say on this
subject. Happy New Year!

Mark Schilling