Kore-eda Hirokazu and the Opera

Alex Zahlten Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de
Wed Jun 7 05:15:17 EDT 2006

Hello Kinejapaners,

as there just was a thread on Koreeda, and I don't think it's been mentioned yet- my excuses if it has:
The Holland Festival 2006, currently taking place in Amsterdam, was opened with the one-act opera AFTER LIFE, composed and directed by Michael van der Aa (a student of, among others, Louis Andriessen). The libretto was written by Koreeda, and is based on his film of the same (English) title. Apparently it incorporates video sequences into the on-stage goings-on quite heavily, and this point is mentioned in a lot of the (mostly favorable) reviews.

You can see a bit more about the Holland Festival under: http://www.hollandfestival.nl/

Despite the numerous remakes of Japanese films I have barely ever heard of Japanese films being used for opera/musical/theater (in Europe or the US); does anyone know of other examples, and how they were recieved?

Alex Zahlten

alex at nipponconnection.de