Assistance in identifying a film--妖怪百 物語

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Fri Jun 9 14:14:20 EDT 2006

Congratulations to Ms. Soddu, who narrowed it down to two. I believe it's got to be Yokai hyaku monogatari.

On the basis of Ms. Soddu's suggestions, I searched again, this time looking for your “rokurokubi,”and I think this must be your film--if so you can order a DVD copy of it from Amazon Japan today, if you like, and watch it within a few days (but you need a Region 2 player capability to see it).

Yokai hyaku monogatari (1968)
Directed by
Kimiyoshi Yasuda
Writing credits
Tetsuro Yoshida

DVD Available at Amazon Japan:
You can also see a color repro of the cover picture there.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009IY9GY/249-1824873-0589117

The Amazon blurb includes:
大映が製作した妖怪時代劇の一編。江戸の豪商・但馬屋利右衛門は、寺社奉行堀田豊前守と結託し、岡場所を作る計画を強行。立ち退きを命じられた長屋の住人は、泣き寝入りするしかない。ある夜、油すまし、*** ろくろ首、*** ぬらりひょん、大首といった妖怪たちが大挙して出現。悪事の限りをつくす寺社奉行を恐怖のどん底に突き落とす。

It is regarded in Japan as a classic horror film, and was shown at the following festival:

http://kochi-bunkazaidan.or.jp/~museum/gegege/cinema.htm

Michael McCaskey