Japanese gay films: Koichi Imaizumi

batgirl at tkb.att.ne.jp batgirl at tkb.att.ne.jp
Sun Jun 25 13:50:29 EDT 2006

Hi Jasper,

Here's the short story: Imaizumi wrote the script for the Yoshiyuki
version, which is a pretty standard representative of its genre as you
described in your e-mail, then re-shot the film exactly as he had
imagined it when he first wrote the script. That second version, the
one screened at TILGFF, is the one released by Parasol Peccadillo on
DVD in the UK.

Website for Imaizumi's production group, Habakari Cinema:
http://www.shiroari.com/habakari/

Naughty Boys on the Parasol Peccadillo website:
http://www.parasolpeccadillo.com/film.php?section=review&id=58

The two versions share the same essential storyline, but have a
completely different tone and aesthetic (in the spirit of full
disclosure, I was involved in making the Imaizumi version.)
Imaizumi is really approachable, so you could also e-mail him directly
via the Habakari Cinema website to find out more about his version.

All the best,

Sarah Teasley
UMass-Dartmouth
batgirl at tkb.att.ne.jp