Dejima Japanese Film Festival 2006

Mark Nornes amnornes
Thu Jun 15 10:07:28 EDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 3:14 AM, Luc Lafleur wrote:
> I am looking for a list of the film
> prints the Japan Foundation has in its library. I only have a very
> old list
> supplied by the Japanese Embassy in the Netherlands. If there are
> members of
> this list that have a recent copy or more information and would
> like to share
> this with us, that would be very much appreciated.

The JF's list seems to be "top secret." However, if you give them a
list of titles, they'll swiftly tell you if they have prints and how
to secure permission to show them. It's very easy, and surprisingly
inexpensive.

In general, you can bet they have a lot of older canonical films
(especially of the postwar era), a lot of newer films by young
filmmakers, and relatively complete collections of some major
filmmakers. The latter grouping includes some great and unusual
films, and you can get a sense for what they have by looking at some
of the major retrospectives from over the years (Ichikawa, Masumura,
Seijun, etc.).

Markus