New Book By Kore-eda

Michael McCaskey mccaskem
Mon Jun 19 12:14:12 EDT 2006

Kore-eda's new film Hana yori mo nao 花よりもなほ has just opened in theaters in Japan.

It's not clear how soon a DVD version will come out, but Kadokawa has just published (June 3) Kore-eda's novel Hana yori mo nao, ISBN: 4048737023 ; (2006/06/03).

Kore-eda's Wonderful Life (After Life) novel, which is quite good in my opinion, was written after the movie version was completed, but it looks as if in this case Kore-eda wrote the novel first, and then the screenplay. This novel is 227 pages long.

I'm not sure how many other Japanese directors have written novel versions of their films, before or after the fact.