Japanese Films in Berlin 1963-64

Li Hoo Cheong lbhcli
Thu Jun 29 23:26:14 EDT 2006

Thanks for the web links.  I checked the Berlin FF web site again but could not find the exact dates of those early years.  As no press release was included, so there is no clue.  I subsequently found from
another source that the Berlin FF used to be held in 2 weeks from the end of June to the beginning of July.  It changed its dates to February ahead of Cannes (May) from 1978 to attract better attention.
Hence, the correct answers to my own questions may be:

In 1963 and 1964, the Berlin FF started in June, but the awards were presented in July.

Hidari Sachiko won two Silver Bears instead of one in 1964.  This may be the only time in the Festival's history that one performer received 2 acting awards in the same year for 2 separate films.  Tanaka
Kinuyo later won a Silver Bear in 1975 for her performance in
"Sandakan hachibanshokan bokyo".

Can any member with access to crucial first hand information confirm the above guesses?

hc