zainichi

J.sharp j.sharp at hpo.net
Thu Mar 2 08:39:28 EST 2006

Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival had a special focus on
Zainichi in cinema last year. I would strongly advise getting hold of the
relevant one of their excellent catalogues, from the website:

www.city.yamagata.yamagata.jp/yidff/home-e.html

You should definitely try and get to see Tetsuaki Matsue's Annyong Kimchee,
a perkey video diary as he reflects on his own sense of national and ethnic
diversity. See:
http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/round-up_005.shtml#annyong-kimchee

With this film, it looked like Matsue was going to be an interesting young
director to look out for, but unfortunately got trapped in the world of
hardcore AV pornography. However, his porn film IDENTITY, uses the format to
focus on zainichi actresses and actors who work in the AV world. I heard
rumours that this was going to play Yamagata last year, which I find fairly
hard to believe - it is very explicit stuff, not the sort of thing you watch
in a crowded auditorium. However, it is definitely an interesting film, so
again, try and track it down if you can.

Best,

Jasper

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA