Nippon Connection film festival

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Sat May 27 17:20:33 EDT 2006

This has long been on my do-list. Now that the university is razing
my office-building down, I'm cleaning things up. The Nippon
Connection catalog has been sitting next to my computer reminding me
that I must jot down some thoughts so that I can pack it away.

This was my first time at Nippon Connection. I'd heard so many great
things about it, I wanted to check it out for myself. The rep is well-
deserved, I must say. It's really quite amazing for a number of
reasons. First of all, this outfit is fan-driven, and I mean that in
the broadest and most complementary way. It's built around a cultural
festival, usually the domain of university centers, embassies, and
diasporic communities. But NC is run by mostly youngish people, from
otaku to graduate students to who knows who else. They had the
gumption to go out and do some serious fundraising; the list of
sponsors in the back of the catalog compares in numbers and logos to
international film festivals. And because it's run by fans, the
implicit definition of "Japanese culture" is wonderfully
heterogeneous, deeply inflected with popular culture objects, and
plain fun. There's a whole room (always crowded) with the latest
video games. There were tea ceremonies. Sushi at the opening. The
festival goods table was selling a crazy assortment of trinkets from
daily life in Japan. Great.

This variety informed the spirit of the film selection, another thing
I found really great. There were forehead-slappers like Ashura, fun
melodramas like Train Man and Always---Sunset on Third Street,
comedies like Unversity of Laughs, auteurish festival favorites like
Loft and Cycling Chronicle--Landscapes the Boy Saw, pink films like
The Strange Saga of Hiroshi the Freeloading Sex Machine, and digital
shorts ranging through every mode and genre of moving image media you
can imagine. I really can't think of another event that has this kind
of encyclopedic approach, and pitched at such an impressive scale (150
+ films!). And most people would be jealous of the turnouts they
produced; forget getting into the main theater if you didn't have a
ticket----film after film.

There were also a big slate of filmmaker-oriented fora, starting with
a series of discussions between filmmakers and critics/historians
like Tom Mes, Luk Van Haute, and Jasper Sharp. These were about what
you would expect----Sato Hisayasu talking about Ranpo and cinema,
Toyoda about life. Wakamatsu Koji was around for a retrospective of
some of his pink films at the Film Museum (and Cycling Chronicle).
Roland gave extended introductions and was interloper for the Q &
A's. I was only able to go to half of Kabe no naka no himegoto. It
was a rather strange experience because it was dubbed in German and
they replaced the sex scenes with Tokyo landscapes----kinda took the
fun out of it all, not knowing German and all. I heard that the
discussions went very well, that according to both German audience
members and Wakamatsu himself.

Wakamatsu also appeared on a panel with Sato, Tajiri Yuji and
myself----Roland moderating and doing a bang-up job of it. I guess I
was the token historian and gave my schtick on the foreign reception
of the films since they were made, especially in the US. It was the
choice of filmmakers that was fascinating. It reminded me very much
of a panel at Yamagata some years back with Iizuka Toshio, Kanai
Katsu, Ise Shin'ichi and Kawase Naomi. What came out in both of these
panels was the generational difference vis a vis the politics of
representation. The NC panel make-up made it even more interesting.
As you can imagine, Wakamatsu came on strong and made looking
political look so easy. He talked about how he films from a place of
anger; one of the most striking proclamations was something like,
"When filmmaking, if you're not political you're not human."  Then
there was Sato Hisayasu, who is driven to think politically but is of
the post-Zenkyoto generation. Because of this, he had trouble
articulating his politics; they were outward-thinking, a concern
about the world, but it was as if there was no steady ground from
which to think about the world and his place (and his art's place) in
relation to it. Ironically, he was quite articulate about his
inability to articulate. Then came the young Tajiri, who looked like
a deer in headlights (from a Hummer driven by Wakamatsu Koji). Tajiri
didn't care about politics and was wondering what he was doing there.
Roland tried to draw him out, but Tajiri basically took a wishy-washy
humanist position: if we could only hold hands and love each other,
everything would be lovely. Actually, Hiroshi the Sex Machine is one
of the few pink films I've seen with a sense of female subjectivity
(unbridled, of course, but still), so Tajiri was an interesting
choice. But like most young directors, he's hobbled by a definition
of "the political" that's wholly identified with the movements of the
late 1960s and early 1970s. This panel was one of the most
interesting I've seen in years for the sense it gave for generational
difference over issues like politics, sexuality, and aesthetics.

On the other end of the spectrum was the speech by Arai Haruhiko,
screenwriter and editor of Eiga Geijutsu. Arai deserves brownie
points for attempting the speech in English, but many batsu's for
giggling onstage like a junior high-school student at an English
speech contest. This language issue is a little more complex, though,
and the event revealed a lot about film culture in Japan. Hirai
decided to make this his opportunity to critique the discrimination
suffered by screenwriters. This was a great move, especially
considering that all the other events (as described above) were
director-centric. He took the organizers of the Ozu centenary
symposium for not deigning to mention Noda Kogo's name. He gave some
examples of the sorry place of the screenwriter from his own career,
and then launched into a critique of auteur theory. This is where it
really went downhill. It quickly became evident that the only thing
Hirai knew about auteur theory came from Yamada Koichi's introduction
of "A Certain Tendency in the French Cinema." Obviously, he hasn't
read a thing about authorship in cinema since then. It was like
experiencing a theory frozen in time---like a bug in amber, as Bazin
might have put it. This is where the language issue made itself felt.
Hirai's speech in painfully broken English (if he hadn't handed out
the text we wouldn't have understood much) was symptomatic of
Japanese filmmakers and critics' inability to use English, German,
French or whatever. No one can read any of the voluminous discourse
on authorship from the last 45 years; no one can talk to their
colleagues unless they speak Japanese. So an idea gets injected into
the Japanese film world by someone like Yamada and then circulates in
its own time warp. That this is the editor of one of the most
impressive film journals of the postwar era was pretty depressing.

Hirai topped it off with an offensive metaphor, worth mentioning
since NC was partially devoted to the politics of sex and cinema. He
noted the new movie made by the director's guild in Japan. Here's the
quote: "The prologue of thi smovie is set in Samurai days, where the
main characters are a Ronin...named Kantoku Emon, which refers to a
director, and Oiran---a high quality prostitute---named Kakuhon
Daiyu, which refers to a screenplay writer. They lived in a tenement
house called Copyright 29. Their landlord tried to take their baby
because it had been born on his property.  I believe this type of
characterzation, with the director as a man and father, the
screenwriter as a woman and mother, portrays that the movie belongs
to the director. However, another screenplay writer named Chiho
Katsura comments that 'the father of a move is not the director. The
person that wrote the screenplay is the father. The screenplay is the
sperm. The director is the mother who raises the sperm during
shooting on location or in a studio and then carries the baby that
was created by the two of them.' I believe this is absolutely
correct." Again, the editor of Eiga Geijutsu.

'nuf said. I hate to end on a sour, sexist note like that, but I must
go. Nippon Connection was fantastic, clearly one of the most
important events for Japanese film in the world. I can't wait to go
again!

Markus