Malaysian films at TIFF

naguib_razak naguib_razak at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 03:05:48 EST 2006

--- Stephen Cremin <asianfilmlibrary at mac.com> wrote:
> Where Tokyo does outshine Pusan (and
> Hong Kong IFF and Singapore IFF and Bangkok IFF) is
> in its Asian programme.  Among the major film
> festivals in Asia, Winds of Asia has the most
> breadth, least orientalism and most exciting list of
> guests in attendance.

Thank you Stephen and everyone else for some very
insightful information on the mechanism of the
festival and the problems besetting it.

As a Malaysian filmmaker lurking on this list for
sometime now, I wonder if any KineJapaners who
attended the festival would like to share their
impression on the range of Malaysian films (nine of
them) that graced TIFF in Winds of Asia.

I know this isn't quite the appropriate forum for
this, but it would be interesting to hear some
opinions, if there is any out there. This is really an
exciting and important time for Malaysian filmmakers,
what with the amount of attention being heaped upon it
suddenly, after years of indifference.

I am myself not associated with any of these
filmmakers, so please feel free to tell me your frank
opinions. Or you could simply reply to me directly.

Keep up the great discussions and exchanges.

Cheers,
Naguib Razak