Malaysian films at TIFF

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Thu Nov 2 03:35:05 EST 2006

I didn't catch the Malaysian films at TIFF.  Just a timing thing, with badge-holders only having access to single press/market screenings of each film.  It was difficult to see more than two or three films a day, and since I'll be visiting KL in December I gave them a miss en masse.

What TIFF did achieve is to make the Malaysian section something bordering exciting.  Generally when one sees a Malaysian film listed in a film festival programme one has come to expect a boring indie film shot on DV with bad lighting and zero interest in storytelling.

The strength of the TIFF programme is that it showed some films that the general public (in Malaysia and Japan) might want to actually watch.

Stephen