Mac software for video clips

tim.iles@utoronto.ca tim.iles
Thu Nov 30 01:33:20 EST 2006

My suggestion would be to use a combination of two programs, one of
which is free (!) the other of which is $29... The first step is to
use Handbrake to convert the DVD to an .avi file--this is the free
part. On a new Macbook, the conversion takes about 1/4 real time (on
an older iBook it can take 3-4X real time, so up to 8 hours for a
2-hour film). Then, using QuickTime Pro ($29 to upgrade the free
QuickTime Player to the Pro version), open the .avi file and copy out
the clips using cut and paste.

Note that this two-program approach really requires two additional
components (both free!)--3ivx and Divx, available as free
downloads--this is to allow QuickTime to handle sound properly in .avi
files.

This is actually a very easy process--much easier to do than to describe.

Hope this helps,

Tim Iles
University of Victoria

Quoting batgirl at tkb.att.ne.jp: