Mac software for video clips

Neal Baker bakerne
Thu Nov 30 08:03:43 EST 2006

KineJapan members -

I use HandBrake to rip DVD clips for the Japanese cinema course I
teach. It's available for free and outputs to MPEG-4 format, which
plays on my Mac using QuickTime. Equipped with a data projector, it
makes for efficient use of clips in a lecture or discussion. You can
rip individual DVD chapters/titles or combinations of chapters/
titles, specifying language, subtitles, etc. Best of all, it's
incredibly easy to use.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Neal Baker
Information Technology and Reference Librarian
Earlham College
Richmond, IN 47374
765.983.1355

From: batgirl at tkb.att.ne.jp
Date: November 29, 2006 11:14:23 PM EST
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Mac software for video clips

Dear KineJapan members,

Now that the US Copyright Office has decided professors can break
copy protection to use DVD clips in class, would members have any
suggestions for software to create clips with a Macintosh for those
of us who teach here and are looking forward to taking advantage of
the ruling?

A friend recommended the combination of DVD Shrink and Super DVD
Ripper, but DVD Shrink turns out to be a Windows-only programme.  And
extended web surfing has turned up much information, but little of it
helpful, about good Mac programs for compressing not the entire DVD,
but only clips from it.

Suggestions? Pans? Raves?

Sarah
Sarah Teasley / steasley at umassd.edu