chance to sub five films

Christine Marran marran at umn.edu
Mon Oct 2 11:50:25 EDT 2006

Dear Kinejapaners,

Thank you everyone for your suggestions for the five film subbing
project.  I should have stated at the outset the parameters of the
project.  We will be subtitling on DVD.  We will, most unfortunately, be
unable to loan the films out for now. We are still negotiating that
point with the lawyers here at UM.  I am very sorry that we will not be
able to make these available to the film community at this point. I hope
that one day soon somehow a kind of web sharing system can be instituted
for films that have received permissions from producers etc (Michael
Raine has thought far more deeply than I about this I'm sure...).  In
the meantime, I thank everyone for the suggestions on where to look for
previously subbed films so that there are no repeats and on what films
to sub.

Yours,
Christine

--
Christine L. Marran
Associate Professor of Japanese Literature and Cultural Studies