Anime and genre

Mark Nornes amnornes
Mon Oct 2 13:12:34 EDT 2006

The answer is, of course, "it depends."

It depends on the scale of the production, its industrial context and
moment in history, the genre, the personalities of all the staff
members, etc. etc. etc. etc.

That said, I have to say I found the 6 hour + documentary on the
making of Mononokehime fascinating for one thing: through the
ridiculously thick description of the production process, you're left
with the strong impression that those images (combined with their
movement) are construed from Miyazaki's prodigious imagination,
channeled through his aching arm and inscribed on paper, and then
sent through the Ghibli factory. But the main thing is the remarkable
similarity between the image he jots down at his desk and what we
see. I'd love to see someone take this idea and run with it.

Markus