Anime and genre

tim.iles at utoronto.ca tim.iles
Mon Oct 2 12:20:53 EDT 2006

>   I think that what Miyazaki does in order to receive credit as
> "director" is substantially different from what Mizoguchi did to
> receive credit as "director".

Forgive me in advance for the obvious naivete to follow... Alex brings
up a crucial point, but one that introduces a different issue in the
anime/live-action debate, I think--because it really  addresses an
inadequacy in the term "director" as the film industry uses it. On the
one hand, there are still undeniable similarities between the roles of
the "director" in live action and anime, aren't there? Both are
responsible for "directing" the work and its components--settings,
lighting, camera placement/angle (I realise using _these_ terms is
problematic in animation), types of characterisation for a given
character, coaxing a good performance from an actor, story/dialogue,
etc... Granted the _media_ that form these components may differ, but
essentially don't they fulfill the same function in live-action and
animation?

On the other hand, because the media are after all so different and
animation typically requires many more participants to produce--many
more artists, painters, CGI programmers, etc--then the term "director"
necessarily takes on a different meaning in animation, one that,
despite its essential similarities in many points with its live-action
usage, has to cope with a substantively different range of issues.

Perhaps this difference is responsible for the types of "resistance"
or hesitation some people may feel for addressing animation and
live-action in the same way--using the photography/painting analogy,
because the photographer "just has to push a button," there can be an
antipathy towards calling him/her an "artist" using that term's
traditional meaning of one who manipulates a pencil or brush to
achieve an effect on the page of canvas (not an antipathy which I
share, however). But I don't think anyone here would agree with that
perception of the photographer, and I don't think it's justified...
And also, using that analogy, perhaps the "director" of an animated
film deserves more credit, because of the greater numbers of
participants with whom s/he has to deal! ^_^

But personally I think the term "director" is potentially a source of
trouble--the person who does what this term denotes in live-action is
doing something different than the person working in animation, as
Alex says--despite the overlap in some key areas.

Nonetheless, I think approaching a cinematic work from a different set
of criteria because it's either live-action or animated is
fundamentally--well, wrong... Both types of film making are attempts
to create cinema capable of conveying a set of meanings, and
_perceptually_, we experience both types in similar ways. I think,
personally, the overlaps between the media outway the differences in
means of production, and the respective strengths of each more than
compensate for any perceived weakness when each are compared. I also
think there's a need for much more critical work on animated films as
'serious' cinema.

Best,

Tim Iles
University of Victoria