Jacques Demy's _Lady Oscar_

ryan.cook at yale.edu ryan.cook at yale.edu
Sat Sep 2 15:31:53 EDT 2006

Hi Anne,

I too tried unsuccessfully to get a copy of Lady Oscar in the US a
little while
back. It seems to be readily available on DVD at least in Japan and Italy (for
example this Italian company, which does not ship internationally:
http://www.yamatovideo.com/customer/product.php?productid=227&cat=38), but it
was never released in the US and even the usual suspects for hard-to-find
videos here could not help me without going through an overseas source. At any
rate, I have heard at every turn that this film does not number among Demy's
finer achievements (hence the difficulty in turning up a copy??).

You might also be interested to know that the French-Canadian pop star
provocatrice Mylene Farmer, known for her lavish and epic music videos,
reportedly took inspiration from Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar in the
video for
her 1986 single "Libertine," which you can watch online here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/640x480/x3ygo_mylene-farmer-libertine.

-Ryan

Graduate Student
Film Studies/East Asian Languages & Literatures
Yale University