Mizoguchi -- what else survives?

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 02:11:25 EDT 2006

Absolutely not. It's a 1935 sound film. And I've never heard before that the 1930 film was co-directed with Kinugasa. I wonder if the French IMDB has made a mistake.

  ALEX

Maria Jose <mjk555 at skyblue.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:
  >The title of the film is Ojo Okichi (untranslateable - the name of the
>heroine), and it was made in 1935. It is so obscure that isn't even listed
>in any English language Mizoguchi filmography I've seen. The reason for
>this may be that it is actually another film co-directed by Mizo (the name
>of the co-director, who is little-known, has momentarily eluded me
>however). In any case Hiroshi assured me that the film looks like a
>Mizoguchi, and as the leading lady is Isuzu Yamada, then Mizo's regular
>star, I would guess that it was planned for Mizoguchi. If anyone knows any
>more about this film (or even has seen it!), please let us know - I
>haven't had a chance actually to watch it yet.

Are you sure you are not referring to "Tojin Okichi" (Mistress of a
Foreigner or Okichi the Foreigner) which was co-directed with Teinosuke
Kinugasa in 1930?

http://french.imdb.com/title/tt0021481/