Mizoguchi -- what else survives?

Dick Stegewerns indibako at mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp
Sun Sep 24 22:49:22 EDT 2006

Alexander Jacoby wrote:

>It seems that the film in question turned up a couple of years ago and has
>even been shown on Japanese TV. The title of the film is Ojo Okichi
>(untranslateable - the name of the heroine), and it was made in 1935. It
>is so obscure that isn't even listed in any English language Mizoguchi
>filmography I've seen. The reason for this may be that it is actually
>another film co-directed by Mizo (the name of the co-director, who is
>little-known, has momentarily eluded me however).

Ojo Okichi was shown on Sky Perfect earlier this year as part of the
Mizoguchi retrospective. The recently added credits rank Mizoguchi as
director before Takashima Tatsunosuke but the credits of the original film
give Takashima as director and Mizoguchi as someone merely providing
assistance/guidance (補導 hodo).

Dick Stegewerns
Osaka Sangyo University