Finding Screenplays

Bruce Baird baird at asianlan.umass.edu
Fri Aug 17 15:30:28 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Normally I would be embarrassed to ask this question, but I am not
actually a film studies person by training, but just trolling this
list to keep current with audio-visual media issues.  I am co-
teaching a grad bibliography course this fall, and my co-teacher and
I thought that it would be a good idea to introduce our students to
ways to find scripts or screenplays, but the thing is we don't really
know ourselves.  I know that in some cases, screenplays get published
in book form and that some get published in Kinema Junpo, but are
there other sources that we should be aware of (something like a
Japanese equivalent of imsdb.com or something like that)?  When I was
at UCLA, you could just buy cheaply bound screenplays from vendors on
the street, but I've never seen such a thing in Shinjuku.

Best,

Bruce

Bruce Baird
Assistant Professor
Asian Languages and Literatures
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Butô, Japanese Theater, Intellectual History

717 Herter Hall
161 Presidents Drive
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003-9312