History repeats?

Kirsten Cather kcather
Thu Aug 23 10:28:03 EDT 2007

This is fascinating news. I'd love to know (especially from those of
you in Japan now) how much and what kind of coverage this incident
receives. Any updates would be much appreciated.

I wonder if this recent raid was at all inspired by the successful
prosecution of the comic book "Misshitsu" a couple of years back. I
find it particularly interesting that the police are going after
lowbrow manga and AV here. Perhaps the lack of critical/intellectual
support for these mentioned by Aaron encourages such targeting.

It's strange though to see a potential indictment of the censors here
since the Nikkatsu case doesn't offer a viable legal precedent. The
Eirin censors for the Nikkatsu films were exculpated quite
resoundingly in both the lower court and High Court verdicts in the
late 70s. Their exoneration was based largely on the perceived
success of Eirin to tame explicit sex in films for some 20+ years
prior to that trial. I don't know much about Biderin, but since they
too have been in operation for 30+ years, I wonder how successful an
indictment would be should it come to that.

Is there anyone out there working on the history of Eirin out there?
I've been reading some memoirs written by Eirin censors and histories
of Eirin lately, but haven't found much in English.

Kirsten Cather
Assistant Professor, Department of Asian Studies
1 University Station, G9300
Austin, TX  78712