rajio manga cont.

Kyoko Omori komori
Mon Aug 27 02:38:24 EDT 2007

Hi Jonathan,

How are you? I assume that you are reading the transcription of
"Rajio saiyuki" performed by Tokugawa Musei in 1951-52. I don't know
if the following is of much help, but here is what I know:

As you already mentioned, Musei's Rajio saiyuki was first aired in
July 1950. This was actually started when another rajio manga titled
"Rajio manga Sazae-san" was discontinued. This "Sazae-san" was aired
from April through June of the same year, and as far as I know,
that's the earliest "rajio manga." According to Musei himself, his
attempts to transform the 4-frame comic strip Sazae-san into a radio
show was a total failure. But when he began "Manga saiyuki" after the
short-lived Sazae-san, that became one of his most popular shows ever.

I'm not sure if there were any earlier cases of rajio manga
especially in the prewar years, but Sazae-san predates Saiyuki, at
least.

Kyoko

=======
Kyoko Omori

Visiting Researcher (July 2007-August 2008) @ Waseda University,
Tokyo, Japan
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow

Assistant Professor in Japanese
East Asian Languages & Literatures Department
Hamilton College
Clinton, New York, USA