Edward Seidensticker 1921-2007

Bernardi-Buralli dburall1
Wed Aug 29 11:54:12 EDT 2007

I had a chance to be even further impressed by the accomplishments of
Ed and his contemporaries when I happened upon a 1954 Funk &
Wagnall's entry on Japan recently. The last sentence under "Japanese
literature" pretty much astounded me, but in hindsight I realized
that 1954 was still relatively early post-war (the copyright page
suggested yearly updates since the war, but who knows what that
meant), but even more than that, 1954 was too early for Ed's
generation to have begun to made a mark on readers with their work.
To paraphrase, the entry ended with something like "The reign of
Hirohito has not produced any literature of significance"--pretty
much just like that, a tidy (and ignorant but authoritative) blanket
statement about Japanese literature 1925-1954.

Joanne Bernardi