"Mekake" in Late Chrysanthemums

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby
Sat Aug 4 19:43:00 EDT 2007

Dear All,

  In Naruse's Late Chrysanthemums, a young man upsets his mother by taking a "mekake" as his lover. The subtitles translate this as "mistress", which is one of several possible translations of the word, but can anyone clarify the exact meaning in the context of Naruse's film? Would it imply that the woman in question is still sleeping with and being kept by another man, or would it simply convey that she's been in this situation in the past and hence is not respectable?

ALEX

Wienique Ebatsu <rekstheascetic at hotmail.com> wrote:
      P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    Hello!

My Name is Wienique Everts I am a student at the University of Leiden where I study Japanese Language and Culture.
I live in Amsterdam and I'm currently working on a Thesis to some extent dealing with Japanese film.
I am interested in modern Japanese films and documentary films...I don't dislike all anime either.
I am especially interested in contemporary films dealing with the postwar constitution to some extent.

This is my first mailing list, so I will "lurk" a little before I start asking you people my list of questions.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu~

  Live Earth is coming.  Learn more about the hottest summer event - only on MSN. Check it out!