screening of Afro Samurai in Santa Monica

Mark Mays tetsuwan
Wed Aug 8 05:00:04 EDT 2007

When you get to the roots of it, it's really far less interesting than you
think. I don't know that I'd agree the "gangsta" ethic is similar -- unless
you're talking about films. Yakuza films and samurai films and "hood" movies
have a similar trajectory and an emphasis on personal and in group moral
codes, not to mention the hyper masculinity and closeted male love bonding
(or not closeted, though only the samurai film has dared to come out).

The Afro Samurai series has aired on American TV on Spike TV (a network that
used to be touted as TV for guys). It was a terrible bore, a adolescent
remix of martial arts revenge films and Blaxploitation movies, unnecessarily
violent (even for a Takashi fan like me) and worst of all, corny, as if
written by a 13 year old version of Quentin Tarantino. The series *is* a
kind of cultural translation -- a White, Western view of two "foreign"
cultures young White men tend to think are cool. I don't know that this
would have been the result had things been left totally to the original
artist of the manga.

I've always been a bit skeptical of RZA's talk about the influence of East
on his West. There's a chapter in a book about the making of classic rap
records, and in the piece other Wu Tang Clan members do recall that he was
talking about incorporating the 36 Chambers stuff in the group's earliest
days. He was influenced by "samurai" in a sense that in his youth, RZA may,
like a lot of people here in the states grouped samurai with Wu xia and kung
fu/Bruce Lee. Perhaps as he became more worldly his ability to talk about
what he loved as a kid grew in depth even though the original influence was
aesthetic not so much informed by Bushido. I don't know if it's a "remix" as
much as a flattening -- taking a very specific icon and broadening the
definition (from "Japanese" to "Asian")

Samurai Champloo is the most interesting "remix" so far (the remixing goes
much further than the soundtrack)

I could go on