CFP: AAS Panel on Critical East Asian Cinemas

Kukhee Choo choo.kukhee
Sat Aug 11 13:47:17 EDT 2007

The following mail came to me so I am forwarding it to the list.

I am looking for participants to join a panel on ?Critical East Asian
Cinemas?. Over the past twenty years, there has been an increasing
critical and academic appreciation of East Asian Cinemas as the latest
successors to European New Cinemas. While the Fifth Generation of
Chinese Cinema and the Korean New Wave are becoming more commercialized
or Hollywood-like, there are directors like Koreeda Hirokazu, Tsai
Ming-liang, Hong Sang-soo, and Jai Zhang-ke continuing to tackle
difficult social issues, such as urban alienation, marginal sexualities
and class exploitation. So far, we have papers on cinemas of Taiwan and
China, and are looking for participants who can focus on cinemas of
Japan and Korea. If interested, please contact Kaiman Chang at
kaiman at mail.utexas.edu <mailto:kaiman at mail.utexas.edu>