Inuzuka Minoru

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 19:54:43 EST 2007

Interesting. If no one has recorded his death then he is probably still alive, though as you say it would be nice to know where he is now. The Wikipedia entry appears however to be in error in describing Frenke as "the earliest living director of a feature film" on the basis of his 1935 debut, since Jean Delannoy (who is a rather more distinguished figure, I'd say), is still with us and directed his first feature, Paris Deauville, in 1934. Assuming the most common date of birth in reference books is correct (there is a little variation), Delannoy will turn 100 on January 12th.

  ALEX

"Mark R. Harris" <brokerharris at gmail.com> wrote:
    A long-delayed follow-up observation about very old directors. The Russian-born director and producer Eugene Frenke, who worked in Europe and Hollywood from 1931 to 1971, would appear to be turning 101 on January 1, 2008. I say "would appear to be" because, although the IMDB and Wikipedia list Frenke as alive (or not dead, anyway), I'd like to know his current whereabouts before asserting his status confidently. He co-directed his first feature in 1935, not quite the Twenties but a very long time ago. His first production credit, on the German film The Brothers Karamazov, came in 1931, the same year as Manoel de Oliveira's first meaningful credit (Oliveira was an onscreen extra in a 1928 silent film).

  Best,
  Mark Harris

  On 10/6/07, Alexander Jacoby <a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:         And of course there is Kaurismaki's Juha. OK then - the challenge will have to be "last director alive to have worked in the twenties", with the thirties as a further interesting query. Unless people think this is getting off topic for what is after all a Japanese cinema mailing list!