Noh in 30s and 40s cinema

Roger Macy macyroger
Sat Dec 1 14:03:54 EST 2007

Hi, Yuna
I would imagine that there are quite a few answers, as Noh and Kabuki were some of the few safe subjects during the war.  My two-pennyworth is Naruse's Uta andon (1943).
Or are you looking specifically for one's based on Noh plots ?
best,
Roger
----- Original Message -----
From: "Yuna de Lannoy" <yuna_tasaka at hotmail.com>
To: <kinejapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 4:39 PM
Subject: Noh in 30s and 40s cinema

Hello,

I am looking for films from the 1930s and 40s inspired by Noh or based on Noh plays.
Do you know about any such films?
All I can find are films based on Kabuki. I do know of Kurosawa's Sanshiro II (1945) in which one character wears a Noh wig.

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes
Yuna
Celeb spotting ? Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
https://www.celebmashup.com=