J-Horror / Yamaguchi Yoshiko

J.sharp j.sharp
Thu Jul 26 08:04:35 EDT 2007

But this is fascinating, because isn't Ian Buruma about to publish a novel
based on Yamaguchi's story? Its amazing there's all this interest in her at
the moment. I really pray that Kore'eda's project gets off the ground,
because there has to be a huge amount of interest in the subject, even
outside of Asia.

Jasper

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Jasper Sharp\'s myspace page: www.myspace.com/jaspersharp

--------- Original Message --------
From: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu <KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Re: J-Horror / Yamaguchi Yoshiko
Date: 26/07/07 02:54

> Dear Jason Gray,
>
> Thank you very much! I have been trying to find out what Kore'eda was
doing next for a while now, without success, and I very much appreciate this
lead.

> Re Yamaguchi Yoshiko and Kawashima, I found when I was doing some research
on Kawashima a couple of years ago that several Chinese popular films have
been made about her story, and have done quite well. It may be that the
espionage angle and the Manchu Princess angle helped. So there may be a good
chance that Kore'eda's film can do well in a broader Asian market, as well
as in Japan, via the Kawashima part.