Mizoguchi and neo-realism

Mathieu Capel mathieucapel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 18:57:43 EDT 2007

I would like to thank Roland Domenig for these precious informations :
the Oshima's book I talked about in my recent e-mail gave years and
months of release for a few of these movies but that was not that
precise. Thanks once more.

By the way, I do agree with Michael Kerpan statement : there was no
need to Mizoguchi to take inspiration elsewhere, and I asked this
question of a possible influence of italian neo-realism in fact to
show that Jean Douchet was wrong - what now I will be able to
demonstrate without many problem.
I would like to say two more things : first, I think that of course
Yoru no onnatachi aesthetics and themes was motivated by the Japanese
"apres-guerre" much more than any cinematographic movement anywhere
else in the world. Second : to me, the idea of" influence" is not that
interesting to think the history of art forms and cinema in the 20th
century, and reveal some narrow-minded approach - especially when you
think about the emergence of japanese postwar film and of the
so-called "japanese new-wave" : the concept of "confluence" would be
much more stimulating to explain such phenomenoms.

Mathieu Capel
Paris