Current State of Graduate Film Programs in Japan

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Jun 15 09:00:53 EDT 2007

On 2007.6.10, at 11:06  AM, Ken Shima wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations, criticisms, and descriptions of any
> schools/departments that would be applicable for someone looking to do
> film studies, visual theory, criticism, and media studies. Therefore a
> dedicated film studies program is not a must as I am looking for some
> information about the field as a whole as well.

I don't know if anyone answered Ken's question off-list, but since this
is a question that often comes up, let me briefly mention a few
programs.

Waseda University (Theater Department): One of the oldest programs with
Takeda Kiyoshi, Komatsu Hiroshi and now Fujii Jinshi. Kusahara Machiko
does new media.

Nihon University (School of Art): The oldest program, but its film
studies side is mostly focused on history with Tajima Ryoichi.

Meiji Gakuin University (Department of Art): Relatively new on the grad
level, but with a good faculty in Yomota Inuhiko, Saito Ayako, and
Monma Hiroshi. Hasegawa Hajime has just been added in media studies.

Ritsumeikan University: A new department and a lot of effort into
building up their program. With Tomita Mika and Kitano Keisuke.

Nagoya University: With Peter High and Fujiki Hideaki (note
Fujiki-san's note about a job posting a while ago).

Tokyo University (Hyosho Bunkaron): Hasumi's old program, with Matsuura
Hisaki and others.

Kyoto University: Mostly run by Kato Mikiro.

Rikkyo University: A new department in psychology and image studies,
with Nakamura Hideyuki being the new film studies person.

There are a number of other regular universities with a professor
interested in film, or strict art universities with one professor doing
history and theory. I am listing the ones that have either produced
good grad students recently or are making new significant efforts in
film studies. These are thus mostly directed towards film studies, but
as you can see, some programs also include media and image studies. A
number of the people mentioned here are members of KineJapan, so feel
free to contact them for specifics about their programs. Again, please
forgive me if a missed a name or a program.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html