Current State of Graduate Film Programs in Japan

Ken Shima kenmasaki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 22:06:18 EDT 2007

Hello, I am writing in seeking some information about the academic
world of film studies in Japan. I am currently a researcher at a
Japanese university and am looking to apply for a graduate program in
film studies, however I have knowledge of only a few programs, mostly
in art departments or art schools.  I am wondering what is the state
of the Japanese academy for someone interested in Japanese film. I am
looking for recommendations, criticisms, and descriptions of any
schools/departments that would be applicable for someone looking to
do film studies, visual theory, criticism, and media studies.
Therefore a dedicated film studies program is not a must as I am
looking for some information about the field as a whole as well.
Specifics are appreciated. Since this question does not necessarily
concern the whole list please feel free to write back off-list. Thank
you as always, Ken