Query: Japanese Films Set in New York City

Bill Tyler tyler.20
Fri Jun 22 10:35:12 EDT 2007

"Because of You," a heartwarming film based on a script by the
novelist Murakami Ryu, was largely filmed in NYC.  Here is info on
the film:

Film: BECAUSE OF YOU (1995) [released in US?2000]

Created jointly by Nikkatsu Film Studios, TV Tokyo 12 and Bandai
Visual Co?an international production

Written and Directed by Murakami Ry?, novelist and film maker, b. 1952-

Principal Characters/Actors (in order of appearance)

Ky?ko: Takaoka Saki (9 Japanese Best Actress Awards)

Jose Fernando Cortes: Carlos Osorio

Ralph: Scott Whitehurst

David: Bradford West

Pablo: Oscar Colon

Sergio: Mauricio Bustamente

The Kid: Angel Stephens

The party at ?The Big House?

The attackers

Mrs. Cortes

On Jun 20, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Michael McCaskey wrote:

> I've been looking for a fairly recent Japanese film set in NYC,
> which is not a crime or detective film.
>
> I've come across "Last Love," a new film starring Tamura Masakazu--
> but it seems to be a Yoshi-type melodrama, and a DVD of it is not
> likely to come out soon in any case.
>
> There's also another Tamura film, "Furuhata Ninzaburo: New York de
> no Dekigoto" (1996), but it's a TV detective episode.
>
> I got Odagiri's "Hazard," but it's a crime film.
>
> I also got "Sakura Taisen New York NY," but it's way too cute for
> my purposes.
>
> I would think there must be some good Japanese films set in NYC.
> I'd even settle for an NYC episode within a film, like the Paris
> ending of "Tokyo Tower." (I'm not necessarily saying that "Tokyo
> Tower" is all that good itself.) Or a TV drama.
>
> I'm sure I've missed some, maybe many, Japanese films set in NYC,
> and would appreciate information you might have about them.

William J. Tyler
Associate Professor, Japanese Language & Literature
Department of East Asian Languages & Literatures
Ohio State University
398 Hagerty Hall
1775 College Drive
Columbus, OH 43210-1340