Translating a long and unwieldy title of a Shozo Makino film

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 07:36:14 EDT 2007

Dear all,

  I think this:

  小百合姫神通川の崇り 天正の怪火化銀杏

  is to be read Sayuri-hime no Jinzûgawa no agameri: Tenshô no kaika bakeichô

  What I'm struggle with is what it all means. Particular "agameri" means something like "esteem" and does this mean that the Princess Sayuri esteems the river (sounds odd) or the reverse (still odd). Also we then have the word "Bakeicho" at the end which seems to have something to do with a gingko tree, but is in any case the title of a Kyoka Izumi story. I wonder if anyone has come across a frequently used translation for that story...

  All help gratefully received!

  ALEX

Aaron Gerow <aaron.gerow at yale.edu> wrote:
  The local election campaigns are beginning to heat up in Japan and the
race for governor of Tokyo is garnering the most attention. Especially
with Prime Minister Abe's declining approval ratings and the victory of
Takeshi Gundan member Sonomanma Higashi (real name: Higashikokubaru
Hideo) in the race for governor of Miyazaki Prefecture a little while
ago (he appears as the drug tester in Getting Any?, or as Takeshi's
foil in Takeshi's Castle/MXC), many are wondering whether changes are
in the wind. The Tokyo race is appearing to have film connections as
well, and not just because the incumbent, Ishihara Shintaro, is the
older brother of Ishihara Yujiro, arguably postwar Japan's most famous
male star, and has directed and/or scripted several films. One of his
prominent challengers is the architect Kurokawa Kisho, who is known in
the movie world as the husband of the great Daiei actress Wakao Ayako
(perhaps we'll see her on the campaign trail?). And even the character
actor Sakura Kinzo (who appears as the rich man's chauffeur in
Tampopo), is making a run for it.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html