Japanese film in Korea

Wujung Ju juwujung
Thu Mar 22 16:36:55 EDT 2007

As far as I know, there were very little direct influences from the imported
Japanese films, which was actually what Korean industry already anticipated.
Except a few animations, there has not been any huge 'blockbuster' hit so
far. It seems recent Korean film boom has nothing in particular to do with
contemporary Japanese cinema. If there is any, I should say, it has deeper
historical root. As the original article pointed out, Japanese films were
not completely banned in Korea. There has always been black markets, to
which filmmakers must have been easily exposed. If you go further back to,
say, 1960s, there seems to have been much more direct influences from
Japanese films, even though they were not publicly released in Korea.

I would also like to point out that Japanese animations were actually NOT
banned in Korean TV. From 1960s on, many animes have been enormously popular
among Korean public viewers. The only trick here is, they had no idea the
anime programs were from Japan. Voices were dubbed and culturally
controversial scenes (violence, sex, Japanese traditions..) were
deliberately cut out. Viewers were completely deceived. (They really
believed Mazinga was a Korean robot!) This might be another version of
post-colonial twist of facts. ;P