IMDB Honda filmography

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby
Mon Mar 5 08:31:44 EST 2007

Dear All,

  First, thanks to Roland for his ever-encyclopediac knowledge re. Kinema Junpo rankings!

  Next: I don't normally take IMDB translations of Japanese film titles very seriously - certainly not regarding them as official English translations - but I'm intrigued by their Ishiro Honda filmography. The first thing is that it's complete and gives an English translation for every title, which is quite unusual. The second is that most of the renderings, even for films never released abroad, are not quite literal (eg Kodama wa yondeiru becomes "An Echo Calls You" where a more literal reading would be "An Echo is Calling") When this happens it generally means that they are quoting from some other source where not-quite literal translations have already been made (eg, a published filmography in a reputable source). But I'm not aware of having seen a complete printed Honda filmography in a generally available English-language source. Does anyone know where they got their translations from? If their translations are in some way official, I'll stick with them. If they're
 not, I'd be inclined to substitute more literal renderings for those which seem tendentious.

  ALEX