Moore+Hara=Michigan

Mark Mays tetsuwan
Wed Mar 7 22:27:45 EST 2007

All this and Eros in a theater. If I could miracle myself to Ann Arbor . . .

  _____

From: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Nornes
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 3:39 PM
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Moore+Hara=Michigan

I'd like to send an invitation out to all Kine-Japaners out there within
spitting distance of Ann Arbor. I'm organizing a big Japanese film event
here on May 5. All are welcome.

Around the time that Fahrenheit 911 came out, I was out drinking with Hara
Kazuo in Shinjuku and the subject of Michael Moore naturally came up. Hara
had heard through the grape vine that Moore really liked his work. I told
him we should do something, me being in Michigan and all.

It took a few years to get around to it, but last fall I contacted Moore
with our Center for Japanese Studies. Asked him if he was interested in
doing something with Hara. Moore's in the middle of editing Sicko, his new
film on healthcare. And it's usually impossible to extract directors from
editing rooms during post. But he got right back to us and said he'd drop
everything for a chance to meet Hara. He wrote that he had seen Emperor's
Naked Army Marches On during the production of Roger and Me and was deeply
influenced by the experience. Think about Moore's work and Hara's work, and
it all makes sense.

So on the evening May 5, at our lovely movie palace The Michigan Theater,
we'll be putting Hara and Moore on the same stage to see what happens. If
you're in the neighborhood, please drop by. Let me know you're coming.

We're showing Eros on Friday and Shingun after the discussion. Details as
they unfold......

Markus

A. M. Nornes

Associate Professor

Department of Screen Arts and Cultures

Department of Asian Languages and Cultures

University of Michigan