Haratoonian Adachi interview query

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp
Sun Nov 11 09:50:57 EST 2007

Thank you for this response Aaron. Macron's it is then.
Thanks also to Najib for drawing my attention to Yomota Sensei's imminent publicaiton on Wakamatsu, and to all those who replied to me off the list.

Best

Jasper

Midnight Eye
www.midnighteye.com ----------------------------------------> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:05:43 -0500> From: aaron.gerow at yale.edu> To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu> Subject: Re: Haratoonian Adachi interview query>>>>> Another question that has been plaguing me recently is regarding>> the name Tooru, as in Tooru Murakawa, Tooru Takemitsu etc. I was>> wondering when one transliterates this into english, whether to>> macronise this or, as I am thinking, to retain the double 'o' ->> this is in keeping with the verb 'to pass' or in constructions like>> "watashi no iu toori ni shite kudasai" ("do as I tell you please").>> I ask this because my dictionaries always give it in the furigana>> 'tooru' and not 'touru' as per usual with long 'o's. So in this>> sense, writing Tohru Takemitsu is wrong, as it should be pronounced>> "To-oru". Am I making any sense?>> I always recommend that when in doubt about romanization, you should> check with your local academic library. Most have strict rules about> these things, especially with people's names (they even keep separate> "authority" files to keep track of aberrant readings and confirm> proper ones). There are occasionally sloppy libraries that make> mistakes, and some rules can vary from country to country, but the> Yale Library, following the Library of Congress, uses Toru with a> macron.>>>> Aaron Gerow> Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program> Assistant Professor> Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures> Yale University> 53 Wall Street, Room 316> PO Box 208363> New Haven, CT 06520-8363> USA> Phone: 1-203-432-7082> Fax: 1-203-432-6764> e-mail: aaron.gerow at yale.edu>>>>