ATG poster gallery

Sarah Teasley s-teasley at northwestern.edu
Sat Dec 13 11:15:12 EST 2008

Dear Martin,

Clearly I should have checked e-mail before sending off that last list!

One thing: judging from the style of the illustration, I'd be willing
to bet that the Hatsukoi poster on your site is by Uno Akira, not
Yokoo Tadanori. The 1970-nendai Guraffizumu catalogue also lists it
as designed by Uno.

The graphic design and typography magazine IDEA has published some
excellent things on Japanese designers who created posters for movies
in the 1930s and 1960s in the past few years--Uno Akira, Yokoo
Tadanori, Awazu Kiyoshi and Kono Takashi among them. The National
Museum of Modern Art Tokyo (MoMAT) also had a good exhibition of
Kono's posters a few years ago.

All best, and again, thanks for making the posters available online!

Sarah
Sarah Teasley
Assistant Professor of Art History
Northwestern University