Japanese film course in Tokyo

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Tue Feb 5 13:39:02 EST 2008

Hi,

I wanted to let you know about a special course on Japanese Cinema
and Culture I will be offering in Tokyo through the Yale Summer
Session. It is a unique opportunity to learn about Japanese film in
Japan in an English-based course, with resources enough to bring in
filmmakers and make trips to film-related sites. The course will be
held at the University of Tokyo and students will be housed in the
Todai dorms. There is a limit of 10 enrollments. Here is the
description from the Summer Session website (http://www.yale.edu/
summer/index.html):

  FILM S191 01 (30052) /JAPNS275
Japanese Cinema and Culture
Aaron Gerow

Summer 2008 SU 5B Session
Areas Hu
Distributional Group II
Not Cr/D/F
Offered in Tokyo, Japan. A broad introduction to Japanese cinema and
its interrelations with modern Japanese culture. Topics include
cinema's connections to theater, manga, television, fan subcultures,
and literature, and the cultural significance of Japanese cinema both
within Japanese culture and in world film. Events planned include
visits to Kabuki and a film studio, and meetings with filmmakers.
Students are responsible for all travel expenses to and from Tokyo,
room and board costs in Japan, and any other expenses beyond tuition.
Application deadline: April 1. Enrollment limited. For further
information contact summersession.abroad at yale.edu. 1 Credit. Tuition
$2,500. Session B: July 7 - August 8.

Please check out the Yale Summer Session site for information on
application procedures, but feel free to e-mail me if you have any
specific questions about the course.

Aaron Gerow
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363