2009 SCMS TOKYO CONFERENCE

Yuna de Lannoy yuna_tasaka
Wed Jun 11 11:30:33 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

This is a call for papers for a panel at the 2009 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference in Tokyo,
(May 21-24, 2009).
Further details of the conference can be found at:
http://www.cmstudies.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=51

Panel title:

-Revisiting Kurosawa: cinema as a platform for ?cultural dialogue?

In the perspective of Akira Kurosawa?s approaching centenary in 2010, this panel reassesses the significance of his cinema for present audiences and film criticism. The panel invites papers revisiting Kurosawa?s relation to foreign sources and Japanese traditions at different stages of his career. We are especially interested in his ?Russian? films, such as The Idiot, Ikiru, The Lower Depths, Red Beard and Dersu Uzala, but discussions of other Western sources (e.g. Shakespeare and American popular novels) will also be considered. Through the discussion of his films, we aim to re-examine Kurosawa?s position in cinema history in the light of post-war development in cultural theory as well as in the context of globalization. Please send an abstract of 250 words and a short bio including name, affiliation and contact address to Olga Solovieva (olenkaso at gmail.com) and Yuna de Lannoy (yuna.delannoy at ua.ac.be) by August 1.

Best wishes
Yuna

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000009ukm/direct/01/