Yasukuni documentary suppressed

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Wed Mar 19 09:54:25 EDT 2008

> It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Let me just add that what is interesting about this case is that it
is becoming not just a case of political censorship, either of the
vocal kind or of the violent kind, but of financial censorship. This
is a problem filmmakers are facing now that the government has
"rediscovered" the movies and is providing more "support" for it.
There are cases of governments aiding the film industry with few
strings attached, but the LDP politicians are firmly trying to
establish the precedent that that is not the case in Japan: to get
money to make films, you have to make a film that does not offend the
government (i.e., the LDP). Government support for the movies comes
at a price. The hubbub is probably going to scare the Bunkacho (the
politicians are demanding the Bunkacho open up their records and
reveal the process through which the Yasukuni film got money), as
well as those applying for money.

I am reminded that Oshima Nagisa long argued against government
support for filmmaking. This is probably one reason why.

Aaron Gerow
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363