Yasukuni documentary suppressed

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Tue Mar 18 22:47:00 EDT 2008

This brewed up when I was in Japan last week. The complaint of the
LDP lawmakers was that the film had gotten funding from the Bunkacho
(Agency for Cultural Affairs) through the Geijutsu bunka shinko
kikin. Apparently a stipulation of the fund, which is the main form
of government funding for filmmaking in Japan, is that the recipient
film not take up any political position on an issue. The lawmakers
said that the film, by using some of the higher statistics for
Nanking Massacre deaths, etc., was taking a political stance. Other
politicians who saw the film disagreed and found it rather fair minded.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Aaron