Kurosawa films and copyright suit

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Thu Mar 20 09:41:04 EDT 2008

Toho is suing the DVD distributor that put out those cheap Kurosawa
DVDs to the tune of $1.2 mil. We have been following this controversy
a bit on KineJapan, so I thought I'd post this.

I find this pretty perplexing. The argument as it's described in the
press is that the films fall under the pre-1971 laws, which extend
protection 38 years beyond the death of the "author" (2038 in
Kurosawa's case). The distributor has been operating under the
post-1971 law, which pegs open season at 50 years after release;
they've put out Kurosawa's first 8 films. Tokyo District Court took
Toho's side, and the distributor is appealing. But Toho is going ahead
with a suit.

So what I don't get is how this is actually in the studio's interest.
They have historically resisted treating directors as authors, right?
On the face of it, this appears to be a gambit to extend copyright as
far out as possible. But at the same time, it would seem to expose
them to demands for profits from directors, either from the past or in
contracts from here on out.

Does anyone understand the logic here?

Markus