Shaggy Dog question

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Tue Mar 25 23:00:19 EDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Jasper Sharp wrote:).

> This leads me to my main question though, which is about Hata
> Masanori, the director of The Adventures of Milo and Otis, or The
> Adventures of Chatran, depending on what part of the world you're
> viewing in. The jmdb says that in 1995 he directed a similar film
> called The Adventure of a Golden Dog, and other sources I've found
> says this was filmed in Australia (with a significant number of non-
> Japanese names in katakana listed among the crew). I've found no
> information whatsoever about any release outside of Japan however,
> but the imdb lists a film called Far from Home: The Adventures of
> Yellow Dog, directed by someone called Phillip Borsos. This film
> was set in British Columbia, so I assume that despite the similar
> names and identical release year, it's not the same at all - unless
> it's another remake. So what I am wondering is if anyone knows of
> any release outside of Japan for Hata's film and has anyone seen
> it? (i note it's available on DVD in Japan)

The JMDB lists Hata as the director of the "Japanese language
version" of The Adventure of a Golden Dog (aka Kuruta) and Mario
Andreacchio as the director. Following his name, the IMDB lists the
film under the title Napoleon with Kulta as an aka title for Japan.
That was released outside of Japan and it iooks like its available on
DVD for all of you eager to see it! And it gets superb ratings on
Amazon.com!

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html